Establishment and aim
The Special Economic Zone (SEZ) is defined by art. 4, paragraph 2, of the L.D. n. 91/2017 as a "geographically delimited and clearly identified area, located within the borders of the State, also consisting of non-territorially adjacent areas as long as they have a functioning economic network, and which includes at least a port area, connected to the trans-European transport network (TEN-T)". Pursuant to art. 4, paragraph 1, the SEZ serves a purpose of "creating favorable conditions in economic, financial and administrative terms, which allow the development, in some areas of the country, of companies already operating, as well as the establishment of new companies".
The SEZ has a duration of no less than 7 years and no more than 14. The duration may be extended, up to a maximum of a further 7 years, upon the request by the interested regions on the basis of the monitoring checks.
The governance of the Calabria SEZ is made up of two levels that operate in an interdependent manner, according to the law provisions and the guidelines of the Calabria SEZ Strategic Plan.
The first level, pursuant to art. 4, c. 6 of the D.L. n. 91/2017, consists of:
- Special Commissioner of the Government for the Calabria SEZ
- Steering Committee
The Steering Committee of the Calabria SEZ is composed of:
- Special Commissioner of the Government, as President
- President of the Port Authority of South Tyrrenian and Ionio Seas
- Representative of the Calabria Region
- Representative of Prime Minister's Office
- Representative of the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport
- Representative of industrial development consortium (art 36 - L.5 october 1991, n. 317)
- President of the Port Authority of the Stretto
The special Commissioner of the Government, "implementing the political and strategic guidelines identified by the Minister for the South and Territorial Cohesion, ensures the coordination and the implementation of initiatives aimed at guaranteeing the attraction, establishment and full functioning of production activities within the Calabria SEZ, despite the responsibilities of the central and territorial administrations involved in the implementation of the Strategic Development Plan".
The Steering Committee works together with the General Secretary of the Port System Authority for the administrative duties referred to Legislative Decree no. 165.
The second level is described in the Strategic Development Plan and it represents the governance system of the Calabria SEZ.
This system consists of:
- Cabin for the strategic development of the SEZ
- Permanent consultation table
- Regional governance structure (called in the SDP “Regional administrative structure for the SEZ”) within the regional Department of European Planning, through the establishment of a specific "SEZ Coordination Sector" supported by a technical structure called "SEZ Desk".
- SURAP - Regional Productive Activities desk
Furthermore, the responsible subjects below are part of the governance system of the Calabria SEZ in relation to the set up of economic activities.
- Lamezia Terme
- Gioia Tauro
- Reggio Calabria
Productive port hinterland:
- Gioia Tauro, Sen Ferdinando, Rosarno